Sunday, January 4, 2015

Happy New Year!


How was 2014…..
An interesting year to say the least; to myself I call it “the year of injuries.”

January-I remember it being very cold.  I flew to California for the second time in my life and ran the Tinkerbell Half Marathon.  I had great fun and didn’t run again (consistently) until April

February- April- Once again, very cold... I was suffering from sciatica (really it started in December of 2013), I did physical therapy for a while, then swim team started and I just couldn’t find the time

May – I think it was in May, I finally got fed up with my job and quit.  It was a long time coming and I had spent probably a year saving up for the inevitable.  I stayed on part time until August.  At the end of May I decided to do another thing I had been wanting to do forever…I dyed the underside of my hair pink, I loved it and hope to do it again in the future (depends on my next job)

June-July – Swim team took over my life.  I love those kids (all 150) like they are my own, I can’t imagine a better way to spend my summers!  Injury wise:  I smashed my right thumb several times at work (in a safe door, under a heavy box), then I sliced the right thumb open putting knife away at home (the day I was leaving for a wedding), then I broke my right thumb trying to loosen lane lines at the pool. 

August - November– With swim team over and no job, I gave myself 2 weeks of vacation before starting to worry about the no job no money problem. I had an application in for substitute teaching so I wasn’t too worried.  During my free time I had class once a week, observed in a middle school classroom once a week, and studied for the Praxis exam. Thankfully I had savings because it took until November before I was finally approved to substitute teach, I started 2 days before Thanksgiving break and right after my fall class ended.  
 

October – Right in the beginning of the month I ended up in the ER in severe pain, turns out a cyst was killing my ovary.  I had surgery and am now down one ovary, but God gives you two.  I am cleared to do anything now, but I’ve given myself until spring to start running again (and my back which still gives me fits is thankful!)

December – I’ve been subbing pretty consistently, aside for the last two weeks the school have had break.  I also fell in an orienteering race and pull a muscle (or something) in my bad shoulder, so I have to get that to heal.

 

What’s up for 2015?

Running – As I said I’ve decided to start training again in the spring.  I am still doing orienteering, but mostly I walk and try and focus on the navigation part. 

Goals:  Move up to Brown in orienteering

              PR in a 5k

              Run one half marathon (looking like the Hersey Half in PA)

Fitness – I may not be running but I will be trying to stay fit.  I currently walk my mom’s dog on the week days; her distance varies from 1.5-3.  I also received a 3 month pass to Gold’s Gym that I’ll be using.

Goals: Walk the dog every day that weather allows

              Swim 3x per week

              Use the fitness equipment 3x per week
 
 

School – I’m in my last class before I have to student teach!  I also need to pass the Praxis exam to be placed.  Hopefully next fall I will be student teaching (or even better will be hired and do an internship instead) In addition I’ve decided to take some fun classes through Coursera, first up in Dinosaurs 101!

Goals : pass everything :)
 
Happy New Year!
~Maggie
 
 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment